Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Odds and Ends

Pacific morning surf.
We decided to walk to the end of Calle Malecon in North Crucita.  You can take a cab or scooter taxi for less than $1 but you can also walk from one end of Crucita to the other in about 30 minutes.  It was a little overcast (we are coming into the rainy season) but the surf was nice and the beach was beautiful.  So far I have noticed the mornings have been generally overcast but by noon the sun comes out. The energy from Sol kicks up the breeze and surf.


Hand fisherman in Crucita, Ecuador
We saw a couple of guys near the north fish market doing some surf fishing.  One was fishing with rod and reel which I have seen none of from the beach. I'm really pretty happy about because I dig surf fishing. I was not sure there was anything fun or edible to catch that way.

The other was also fishing but by hand.  He had regular line and tackle but no reel.  He was using his left hand as the spool and wrapping line with his right.  Considering the size of the fish at market I figure he has a limited life span on his fingers.   I have met my fisherman neighbor and his wife but I can't speak enough Spanish to be safe and productive fishing with him.  The invitation is there though.  His wife is also considered one of the better for hire cooks in the area.  She will come cook and teach us while she does it.  That, my friends is going to be stellar.



Poor Puffer!

Anyway, we stood there and watched them fish for awhile.  The gentleman with the rod and reel seemed to be having a hard time.  By now the surf was pretty rough so maybe he did not have enough weight.  The hand fisherman was out there up to his waist.  No small feat because the surf had really come up and trust me, it can get you off your feet quickly if you do not watch out.  He caught this while we were watching.


On the way back we thought we would walk along Calle Malecon and see what was going on.  It looks like  lot of development is starting to happen there.  Actually it is starting everywhere.  We saw some very large homes under construction.  There are many buildings for sale one the beachfront.  There are also many single family homes condos like these for rent.

New condo construction.
I was surprised because we looked on the internet for a good long time and found little.  I guess it goes back to what I said in an earlier post.  Ecuadorians generally don't use the internet much.

There are a lot of empty homes around as well.  Most are beach homes owned by families inland.  In January they come to the beach as it their summer time.



We can already see the cleaning ladies cleaning some of the homes around us in preparation for the season.  It looks like we're in for a pretty big season of fiestas, beachfront roca or rock shows and of course, carnival.  I've been warned they squirt water at you and some even throw eggs and such from their cars.  Tamera and I will stock up on beer and missiles.  We have a pretty good vantage point from our terrace and I think we can give as good as we get.  Tomorrow I think Tamera is going begin writing from her perspective.  Also, I might just tell you about the chicken. Dog!  Hey dog!  Did you see the size of that chicken?  Yeah, I'm old.  Adios!

Questions? E-mail us!

Like what you see?  Please take a moment to easily share it with your friends using the toolbar below.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment