Total Pageviews

Monday, November 23, 2015

It Ain't All Poached Eggs and Rubies

COMING SOON:  Tamera's Take- Snapshots of life in Ecuador from Tamera's point of view.

Well, it ain't.  I'd love to sit here typing marvelous stories while burying my head in the sand but that's hardly fair.  It isn't right.  I won't lie either.  I've read many other blogs about Ecuador and everyone has at least one post like this.  Some stories aren't great at all.

Think for a minute about your local news you read or watched last week.  You kind of put the bad stuff in the back of your mind right?  Try not to think about it?  It's OK because that's how everyone gets through the day.  I just want to give you some perspective.  No place is perfect.  You are always in some form of danger, there is always a neighbor you don't get along with, someone always throws their trash out the car window, someone is always a jerk to you whether they know it or not, and everybody does something really stupid by or to their own selves every day.  Get your mind around that if you will because it's also not right to ignore your own backyard's problems while thinking "See?  I knew it was bad there!".  

You're in familiar surroundings; your comfort zone if you will.  We're well out of ours and that is exactly what we wanted.  Paradise has plenty of challenges, frustrations, and yes, some danger.

Habla Espanol?  Nope.  OK, a little.  My wife is much more knowledgeable.  Right now, she does most of the talking while I stand there with a silly grin on my face.  I am actually learning faster than I thought.  We have Rosetta Stone and it is a great help.  Actual lessons may be in order but the best thing is to get your face in there.  Try and try again.  I bring it up first because for me, it is the biggest challenge I face daily.  Sometimes I don't want to leave my little courtyard because I don't like seeing myself as ignorant every freaking day.  I also don't want to upset or insult the native residents.

And then there's this:


Our brand new LG washing machine.  It's mac daddy.  I could tell because it looked like it came out of the new Star Wars movie.  It took 10 minutes to get our first load of laundry going today.  We figured it out of course but boy, did I feel dumb.  There's quite a bit of this type of thing.  Different stores to pay the electric, water, WI-FI, and DTV.  All have different due dates and account numbers.   Hard to get straight and pay when you don't know how to say it.

Where is the support?  The safety net?  Friends and family aren't right there if you want or need them.  Facebook helps.  You'll need an unlocked smartphone, WI-FI with Skype capability, or Skype credit to talk with them.  Still, they aren't there.  You will have local friends but it's a little tough in the beginning.

Garbage can be an issue.  A friend once told me, "It's a third world country man".  He's right.  It is. I've seen worse in America.  Here, they pick up garbage from your front gate three times a week. The shop and street vendors clean the streets and walks every morning.  Sounds great and it IS great but-

Street Trash
Our house is off the main beach road, Calle Malecon.  The entrances are off other streets that Americans would think of as alleys.  We are in a good area of Crucita with lots of cantinas, restaurants and shops.  At night Calle Malecon is jumping.  Lots of locals and tourists doing what people do.  You see, most don't work Sundays as they are primarily Catholic.  No one really cleans up from Saturday night.  On Sundays it's church and then beach.  There are no trash collection cans on the beach.  Early Monday morning isn't pretty.  However, go back late Monday morning and everything is spic and span again.

One of Our "Alleys".
Sometimes people do what they do in the alleys.  There are a few reasons I think.  Some are drunk of course.  Some can't find a bathroom.  Some don't look for a bathroom.  Not because they don't want one but because there aren't many public bathrooms period. Even if you find one you may not dare use it.

Public Bathroom
The dogs that run around free, and there are a lot, won't use them either.  Add feral cats, chickens, and fishing nets.  Stir.  First thing in the morning the walk down the alley can be a bit ripe, especially after the weekend.

Also, it is a fishing village. Sometimes it smells like fish.  Imagine that.  Good news though.  Not for long.  We're on the Pacific.  The smell never, ever permeates our house.  The breeze gets rid of it.  At lunch time all you can smell is food.

There is crime here though we've experienced none.  No violent crime, at least not often.  Apparently, you have to watch out for the guys on enduro motorcycles with no tags.  They like to ride by and snatch purses, smart phones, or whatever else they can easily grab and run.  This is easiest to deal with.  Watch your stuff.  You do anyway right?

I saved the worst for last.  I just don't like thinking about it.  I haven't mentioned this but the people of Ecuador are generally shorter than Americans.  "So?" you ask?  So, I'm 5' 10".  A guy of medium height.  What am I supposed to do about this?

Small beds!
OK, not really a problem for my wife and I but if you're 6' tall?  Taller even?  The counters are shorter here too.  Cooking and cleaning the kitchen can be murder on your back.

Not what you expected maybe?  Well, we haven't been here long.  We haven't been kidnapped, killed, or experienced racism.  I suppose any of those things could happen but we keep a weather eye.  If they do I'll blog about it.  Get some pictures too.

There are other things too but who cares, really?  We can't change them.  Don't want to change them.  Americans wouldn't tolerate someone coming into our country and telling us how to run it.  Rightfully so.

Maybe the most important thing is we love it here.  It is probably not for everyone.  At least not forever.  We wanted adventure and got it.


As I type this I see our first humming bird at the Aloe plant's bloom.

My wife is returning through the gate from Calle Malecon where she met the cerveza truck. It comes Mondays and Thursdays.  They refill the $1.50 bottles for $0.90.

Love and Cerveza!

Welcome home te amo.  Adios amigos!

Questions? E-mail us!

Like what you see?  Please take a moment to easily share it with your friends using the toolbar below.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment