Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Cooking in Ecuador - What Can Not be Found?

Questions? E-mail us!
Follow us on Twitter - @JOTOinEcuador
Like Us on Facebook!

Quick Links

©2016 TJ & Tamera Overman, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. ReUse by permission only.

Living in Ecuador is a dream come true.  If you have read our earlier posts you will know we did extensive research prior to moving here.  One of our focuses was food.  We love good food.  We love to cook.  Neither of us could wait to try our first real ceviche.  We were excited about the fresh fish and vegetable markets and we have not been disappointed in any way.  We also paid very close attention to the things we would not be able to get here.  We thought we had a handle on it but there have been a few surprises.  In some cases it is just the little differences.

I choose Jif.
Peanut butter AKA mani, was a big one.  I eat it like there is no tomorrow.  It was something I thought I'd have to do without.  As it turns out you can get it here but-.  Yes, one big but.  It is not the same as Jif or Peter Pan.  It is not nearly as sweet.

Don't get me wrong, it is very good but a lifetime of the sweet stuff every kid in the U.S.A. eats has jaded me.  It is good, just not as good. It is very expensive.

The same is true of ketchup.

No Heinz or Hunts here.  Salsa de Tomate.  Also not as sweet.  As a matter of fact I think it is better.  It can be used with french fries sure but it can also be used to make red sauce.  It can be used with a lot of things.  Of course, when I make fries for my wife (she has to have fries!) I also "Americanize" the ketchup with a little vinegar and a hint of sugar.  Unlike peanut butter, ketchup is very affordable.

Excellent for many things.
Buffalo sauce (yes for chicken wings) can't be found.  I make my own anyway so did not worry about it at all. The reason I mention it is because native Ecuadorians mention it.  A lot.  Those who have been to the United States almost always bring it up and when they do you can see that first taste on their faces.  If I were to open a chicken wing restaurant it would be a guaranteed success.

Tacos.  Another thing you can't buy here.  I have not found a restaurant that sells tacos like I have had in the States or Mexico.  There are no hard shells either.  No corn chips outside of Doritos.  The tacos here consist of a soft cornmeal cake with beans, tomato, rice, lettuce, and onion on top.  This is topped with lime mayonnaise and salsa de tomate.  They are very delicious but sometimes you just have to have that crunch man.  You will not find tomato salsa or sour cream here either.  Soft flour tortillas can be found though.


Living in Crucita means fresh seafood on a regular basis.  Horrible, I know.  I remember the first time I ordered fried seafood here.  It was a mixta which means what it sounds like.  A mix of seafood (you pick it) for the platter.  Mahi and shrimp dusted in cornmeal.  Simply delicious.  The cocktail sauce wait, what?  No cocktail sauce?  No lemon?  No malt vinegar?  No, none. Instead there is ketchup, mayonnaise, and a spicy pepper relish.  The relish will have to do and it does.  It is amazing but it is not cocktail sauce.  No worries.  I can make my own.

Ahhh.  Horseradish.
It is very easy to make if you have horseradish. There is no horseradish anywhere.  No one knows what it is.  I can't even find the raw root to prepare it myself.  Our friends Bonnie and Luc gave us some before they left for Costa Rica. Our friend Rob brought more. If you come for an extended period it is a must bring item.  We were surprised with the no lemon , no horseradish thing.  We live in a fruit and vegetable mecca but you can't find either of these things.  We can do without lemons since we have limes but horseradish?  Say it ain't so!


There are a lot of things you can't buy ready made here.  So what can you do?  You can make them yourself of course.  It is either that or go without.  If you are a mess in the kitchen now is the time to learn!   Remember, as long as you are learning you will make mistakes. Those who love to cook or aspire to learn will quickly find there may be no better place to practice the art.  For all the things we can't get here there are many new things we've never seen, heard of, or tasted that we can get.

The best chips ever except for mine!
Below is a list of some food items that either can't be found (at least in our area of Ecuador), are very hard to find, or are very expensive.  This list will grow I'm sure.

Click on the links to see great recipes for some of these items.  They are not my personal recipes but they are close.  I don't measure anything unless I am baking.  As such I have no recipes to write down.  I may have to change that for future posts.

If you would like to share your cooking tips and recipes please do.  If you have something to add you can either comment directly or e-mail us.  We would love to hear from you.

If you come to visit us then pretty please with sugar on top, bring a treat!

Chao!


Cocktail Sauce (Substitute lime juice for lemon juice.  Have someone bring you horseradish!)
Corn Chips (Doritos can be found but not regular chips)
Sour Cream (Prepare fresh sour cream 24 hours in advance)
Blue Cheese Dressing
Buffalo Wing Sauce (Not my recipe but close.  Sorry, mine is a secret!)
Horseradish
Malt Vinegar
Peanut Butter (U.S.A. Style)
Salted Peanuts (They grow here but we can't find them!)
Worcestershire Sauce (Hard to find)
Hard Taco Shells (Use corn chip recipe but brush on oil and bake!)
Philadelphia Cream Cheese (there is cream cheese here but-)
Cheddar Cheese (Pricey.  Slices are easier to find but the flavor is not the same!)
Premium Liquors (Can be had for a price. No Seagrams products though)
Half and Half (Buy cream and milk to make your own!)
Candy Bars (Nestle and Mars are here for a price.  I wants me Snickers!)
Grits
Orange and Black Pekoe Lipton Tea
Baking Soda (Can be found in small quantities in local tiendas.  You might have to ask.)
Lemons

©2016 TJ & Tamera Overman, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. ReUse by permission only.

Like what you see?  Please take a moment to easily share it with your friends using the toolbar below.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment